Friday, August 11, 2006

Savory Bites

From Sam’s previous post:

I bet I will go ahead and shower, but not before eating chocolate for breakfast. Sure, I could eat yogurt, a bagel, cereal, or a banana for a more healthy breakfast, but those don’t seem to fill my need, or stuff it down is more like it.

This inspired me to write a little something on FOOD.
It feels like I don’t have time to enjoy my breakfast or snack, double Latte, or even a plain old cup of black strong coffee.

Nothing tastes good to me anymore.

While The Girl is eating dinner (sweet potatoes tonight), I’m writing (as I am now), or doing some dishes (hey- I said some), or putting a weeks (or so) worth of laundry away finally.

My snacks are less than tasty, sometimes, and can end up being my dinner (i.e. Chocolate or cookies, a single banana or spaghetti for the third day in a row), or ‘well, at least I ate something.’ That last one appears quite often.

And coffee-oh coffee. I down so much of this stuff, I don’t even feel the buzz anymore. I should be bouncing off the goddamn walls. This could account for my sleep problem of late, eh? Part of it, anyway…

Everything is just so on-the-go these days. Even as we sit down to a meal: I scarf down whatever it is we are eating without even a thought of really enjoying the food; I’m too busy seeing if The Girl needs anything, or picking up food she dropped, or the spoon she threw, or whatever. We are always moving, moving, moving: to the library, going on our walk, doctor’s appointments, and errands. So much to do all the time. Much of society is like this, to put it in a broader perspective, always moving.

How did this happen?

How did I stop enjoying the taste of food? How did I stop taking pleasure in every bite? How did it get to the point of ‘at least I ate something today’?

I don’t know. Perhaps we all just need to stop, slow down and breathe once in awhile.


Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
Hey-most of us know where this is from…
Ferris Beuller’s Day Off

Sort of a long, terribly rambly kind of post….oh well.

No comments: